SPEED and RED LIGHT Cameras Make the Roads More Dangerous
In almost every jurisdiction, the impetus and decision to install photo enforcement comes from politicians and law enforcement, and not from traffic safety engineers or as a result of traffic engineering studies. How can you fix sub-optimal light timing or speed limits that are set too high or low with a camera? This aversion to a fact & data scientific approach reveals the true motive (profit) behind the use of photo enforcement.
One of the biggest arguments for speed cameras is some kind of urgent, pressing need to make our roads safer and reduce accidents. The problem is, this danger is never expressed in terms of reliable statistics that show that accident rates are "too high." The fact is, accident rates have been dropping nationwide for decades. Certainly, it would be fabulous if we could have accident-free roads. The reality is that without banning cars altogether, this Utopian scenario is not obtainable and never will be. As a society, we have to decide what an acceptable accident rate is and decide to strive for that standard. Otherwise, if we decide that no one should ever die in an auto accident, then motorized transportation should be banned and we can all just go back to horses and buggies. The vague goal of "safer roads" is just as unacceptable as a publicly-traded company declaring their goal to be to vaguely "make more money." If there is a safety crisis, our officials need to declare specifically what it is and what their goals are so that we can know if they are successful. Without such stated goals, we can only assume this whole thing is a ruse and a scheme to generate revenue.
So if the first argument is that our roads are not dangerous enough to warrant these Draconian measures, the second argument is that these cameras are ineffective and either do NOT reduce accidents or actually INCREASE the number of accidents. We've assembled a list of reports, data, and information below to show this.
A third argument about this alleged safety crisis is the concept that trying to change the behavior of drivers (which assumes that cameras are effective in doing this) is somehow going to be more effective/successful than re-engineering the roads and intersections that are alleged to be dangerous and achieving sustained compliance naturally. Workplace safety philosophy dictates that you employ mechanical safe guards and process safety improvement wherever possible so you don't have to rely on changing worker behaviors and training. On the roadways, this would include adjusting speed limits, adjusting yellow light timing, lane markings and designations, and other rules. For example, it is well-established that intersection accident rates are greatly affected by yellow light times. Why not simply adjust the timing? This solution is very low cost and proven to be extremely effective. Camera operators would like you to believe that red-light accidents are caused by people intentionally running the light, because of course, only intentional behavior can be affected by enforcement. The reality is that most red-light crashes are caused by people unintentionally running red lights. If they don't intend to run a red light but do anyway, there is little chance that a camera will change that. A camera serves only to document such events and generate money.
If this list isn't good enough, check out the list at the NMA's website.
Reports showing speed cameras do not improve accident rates or that speed is not major cause of accidents
- No crash rise after camera switch off in Northamptonshire, BBC News, Mar 12, 2016
- A9 average speed cameras fail to lower deadly accidents between Perth and Inverness, Press and Journal, Jan 27, 2016
- Police under fire for speed cameras, 3 News, Jan 3, 2016
- Speed Cameras NSW - Record Revenue Yet Rising Road Toll, The Motor Report, Nov 12, 2015
- Number of fatal accidents on A9 increase since average speed cameras brought in, The Press and Journal, Oct 29, 2015
- OECD finds Israel's speed cameras ineffective, Globes, Oct 21, 2015
- Covert speed cameras do not change driver behaviour, Queensland Police Union says, ABC, Oct 14, 2015
- Insurance Industry Proves Accident Rates Declined Equally With or Without Speed Cameras, MD Drivers Alliance, Sep 1, 2015
- Results 'mixed' about Kent school zone traffic cameras impact, KentReporter.com, Aug 13, 2015
- Data shows mixed results for NYC Vision Zero plan, NYDailyNews.com, May 26, 2015
- Australian Territory Orders More Speed Cameras Despite Accident IncreaseTheNewspaper.com, May 15, 2015
- Some elected leaders question data from NYC photo-enforcement camerasPix11.com, Feb 14, 2015
- Saudi Arabia: Speed Cameras Cause AccidentsTheNewspaper.com, Nov 25, 2014
- DC Speed Cameras Have Not Improved Traffic SafetyTheNewspaper.com, Sep 11, 2014
- Speed camera lunacySwindon Advertiser, Sep 9, 2014
- Speed Cameras In ACT 'Unreliable' And 'Ineffective': ACT Auditor-GeneralThe Motor Report, Mar 23, 2014
- Arizona County Dumps Speed Cameras As IneffectiveTheNewspaper.com, Jan 21, 2014
- Saudi Arabia: Speed Cameras Fail To Reduce AccidentsTheNewspaper.com, Dec 13, 2013
- Citywide accident rates rise during era of speed camerasBaltimore Sun, Nov 11, 2013
- Crash figures query worth of speed camerasNewcastle Herald, Nov 7, 2013
- Speed cameras no boon to traffic safety, county study says Arizona Daily Star, Oct 13, 2013
- Safety benefit of M1 cameras questioned Sydney Morning Herald, Apr 4, 2013
- WA speed cameras 'not cutting toll' Sydney Morning Herald, Jul 25, 2012
- Fixed-speed cameras fail to cut car crashes BBC, Jun 25, 2012
- Speed Cameras No Help on Estonian Roads, Researcher Finds Estonian Public Broadcasting, Jun 20, 2012
- Photo radar: ugly crashes, tidy profits: Collisions rise at red-light camera intersections as $$ pour in Winnipeg Sun, May 17, 2012
- 31% Fewer accidents in Somerset despite speed camera turn off BBC, May 17, 2012
- Number of accidents has dropped since Bristol speed cameras switched off This is Bristol, Apr 16, 2012
- Northamptonshire road deaths fall to 'all-time low' [After Cameras Switched Off] BBC, Apr 7, 2012
- Casualties increase on speed camera roads Yorkshire Post, Mar 30, 2012
- Swindon has UK’s safest roads after SCRAPPING speed cameras Yahoo Cars, Mar 26, 2012
- Busiest speed camera 'not working' MSN.co.nz, Feb 27, 2012
- UK: Study Shows No Speed Camera Safety Benefit TheNewspaper.com, Feb 10, 2012
- Speed cameras serve no purpose, says report Luton News Herald & Post, Feb 5, 2012
- No negative effects with removal of speed cameras The Armidale Express, Jan 20, 2012
- Speed cameras 'made Warwickshire roads MORE dangerous' Coventry Telegraph, Nov 8, 2011
- More accidents at nine speed camera sites in East Yorkshire Hull and East Riding, Nov 2, 2011
- Accident figures suggest speed cameras are not saving lives Daily Gazette, Sep 3, 2011
- Accidents increase despite presence of speed cameras Get Hampshire, Sep 1, 2011
- Bucks speed cameras 'failing to cut accidents,' Buckinhamshire Advertiser, Aug 31, 2011
- Rider killed braking for a speed camera Motorcycle News, Aug 26, 2011
- Are they worth it? Sheffield speed cameras failing to cut accidents, The Star, Aug 26, 2011
- Some Dorset speed cameras have NOT cut accidents, Bournemouth Echo, Aug 25, 2011
- Speed cameras 'do not cut accidents'... they create them, study finds, UK Daily Mail, Aug 24, 2011
- Speeding Increasing Despite Camera Cop, Fox 2 Now, Aug 18, 2011
- Road casualties continue to fall as speed cameras stripped out, The Telegraph, Aug 4, 2011
- SPEED CAMERAS WATCH AS ACCIDENTS INCREASE, PistonHeads.com, July 26, 2011
- Speed cameras have no impact on accident reduction, ExpressAndStar.com, July 24, 2011
- Road Deaths Fall to a Record Low as Speed Cameras Turned Off, Express.co.uk, July 1, 2011
- Italy, UK: Speed Cameras Cause Fatal Accidents, TheNewspaper.com, Apr 17, 2011
- Biker died 'braking for speed camera', Metro.co.uk, Apr 11, 2011
- Speed Cameras: Less Speeding, Same Accidents, Catonsville Patch, Feb 1, 2011
- Balto. Co. speed camera tickets drop, Accidents Stable, Baltimore Sun, Jan 28, 2011
- Casualties continue to fall on Britain's roads - Casualties continue to fall as speed cameras disappear, The Telegraph, Feb 3, 2011
- Accidents down after speed cameras go, The Courier, Oct 5, 2010
- Death rates INCREASED by 20mph zone... and getting rid of cameras reduces accidents, Daily Mail, Oct 4, 2010
- Speed cameras 'don't stop REAL danger motorists' despite 300% increase during Labour government, Daily Mail, Sep 24, 2010
- Crashes increase 18% at intersections where devices installed, Winnipeg Sun, Sep 22, 2010
- Fixed cameras proving futile, Canberra Times, Aug 22, 2010
- Speed cameras have caused 28,000 accidents in a decade, Daily Mail, Aug 6, 2010
- Speed camera switch-off sees fewer accidents, UK Telegraph, Aug 7, 2010
- Essex Police under fire over M11 cash camera (Accidents doubled at camera locations), Visor Down, Nov 18, 2009
- 'Dangerous' speed camera rakes in $500,000 a year, UK Telegraph, Nov 14, 2009
- POLL: Is it time to scrap the speed cameras?, Maidenhead Advertiser, Oct 8, 2009
- City of Tempe Traffic Fatalities Increase 43% Since Camera Program, PhotoRadarScam.com, April 15, 2009
- Pinal County (AZ) Sheriff states that cameras INCREASED accidents and fatalities, AZFamily.com
- Speed Camera Effects Summary, SafeSpeed.org
- National Motor Vehicle Crash Causation Survey, US DOT-NHTSA, July 2008
- Speed cameras 'can cause accidents', BBC News, Aug 23, 2002
- UK Parliament Slams Bogus Speed Camera Statistics, TheNewspaper.com, Dec 27, 2008
- Video of accidents caused by speed cameras, Youtube
Reports showing red light cameras have little effect or increase accident rates
- Deer Park latest suburb to end red-light cameras, Longview News Journal, May 6, 2016
- Crashes decline at Longview intersections after red light cameras removed, Longview News Journal, Apr 16, 2016
- Crashes have increased at red light camera intersections, Fox13News.com, Feb 6, 2016
- City of Lakeland finds error in report on red-light cameras (crashes actually up 5%), TheNewspaper.com, Jan 27, 2016
- Florida: Accidents Increase At Red Light Camera Locations, TheNewspaper.com, Jan 21, 2016
- Red light camera crashes still not dropping, WTSP, Jan 20, 2015
- California: City Report Shows No Red Light Cam Benefit, TheNewspaper.com, Dec 29, 2015
- Assemblyman: ‘No Improvements’ From NJ Red Light Camera Program, CBS New York, Dec 16, 2015
- Red Light Cameras Fail To Reduce Accidents In Tucson, Arizona, TheNewspaper.com, Nov 5, 2015
- Study Questions Value of Virginia Beach Red Light Cameras, TheNewspaper.com, Sep 3, 2015
- Report: Southern California Red Light Cameras Fail To Reduce Accidents, TheNewspaper.com, Aug 26, 2015
- Florida: Vendor Tries To Save Red Light Cameras Despite Accident Rise, TheNewspaper.com, Jul 14, 2015
- Data shows mixed results for NYC Vision Zero plan, NYDailyNews.com, May 26, 2015
- Yonkers red-light program: Cash, crashes pile up, ChicagoTribune.com, Mar 26, 2015
- State downplays red light camera crash increase, WTSP.com, Mar 10, 2015
- Tribune study: Chicago red light cameras provide few safety benefits, ChicagoTribune.com, Dec 19, 2014
- Red Light Reality Check: CALL7 investigation reveals cameras may not make Denver streets safer, The Denver Channel, Nov 13, 2014
- Red-light cameras may be hazardous to pedestrians' health, NJ.com, Oct 30, 2014
- Injuries up at red light camera intersections, WTSP.com, Sep 2, 2014
- Florida: City Council Embraces Accident Causing Cameras, TheNewspaper.com, Sep 3, 2014
- Study Reveals Reason For Conflicting Red Light Camera Studies, TheNewspaper.com, Aug 21, 2014
- Despite cameras, more injured at Round Rock intersections, St Louis Public Radio, Jul 15, 2014
- St. Charles County Council To Consider Red Light Camera Ban [Crashes Increased], St Louis Public Radio, Apr 25, 2014
- Red-light cameras fail to reduce crashes, Alexandria Times, Apr 25, 2014
- Injury crashes up and red-light citations down at Newport News' three monitored intersections, DailyPress.com, Feb 22, 2014
- Florida Legislative Report Pans Red Light Camera Safety, TheNewspaper.com, Feb 11, 2014
- California City Weighs Keeping Red Light Cameras Despite Accidents, TheNewspaper.com, Jan 20, 2014
- Red-light cameras may become obsolete [No Decline in Crashes], WFLX, Jan 13, 2014
- Rear-end crashes at red-light camera intersections rise, Tallahassee.com, Dec 12, 2013
- Tallahassee taxpayers get little back from red-light camera deal, Watchdog.org, Dec 9, 2013
- Virginia: Short Yellows, Red Light Cameras Increase Accidents, TheNewspaper.com, Oct 8, 2013
- Virginia: City Hides Data Showing Increased Red Light Camera Injuries, TheNewspaper.com, Sep 13, 2013
- Stop! Could the End Be Near for Cathedral City’s Controversial Red-Light Cameras?, CVIndependent.com, Sep 2, 2013
- South Plainfield Accidents Up 50% Near Piscataway Red Light Cameras, TheAlternativePress.com, Aug 27, 2013
- NMSU study on red light cameras shows mixed results, Las Cruces Sun-News, Feb 2, 2013
- Data shows mixed results from Longview red-light cameras, News-Journal.com, Apr 14, 2013
- Rhode Island: Accidents Increase With Red Light Cameras, TheNewspaper.com, Apr 5, 2013
- Collier County's red light cameras shut down for good [After Failing To Reduce Crashes], News-Press.com, Mar 1, 2013
- Pennsylvania: Red Light Camera Accidents Increase in Philadelphia, TheNewspaper.com, Feb 25, 2013
- Virginia: Insurance Industry Data Shows Mixed Results From Red Light Cameras, TheNewspaper.com, Jan 25, 2013
- Crashes Nearly Double At Red Light Camera Intersections, City Adds More, Palm Beach Post, Jan 22, 2013
- Missing from St. Petersburg council report on red light cameras: Crashes actually increased, Tampa Bay Times, Dec 13, 2012
- New Jersey's red light camera program has failed to make intersections safer, NJ.com, Dec 1, 2012
- New Jersey DOT Documents Accident Severity Spike with Red Light Cameras, TheNewspaper.com, Nov 28, 2012
- Florida: Audit Fails to Document Safety Improvement from Traffic Cameras, TheNewspaper.com, Oct 9, 2012
- Analysis: Red Light Cameras Increased Accidents in Murrieta, California, TheNewspaper.com, Oct 5, 2012
- Florida: Review Shows Increased Red Light Cameras Accidents, TheNewspaper.com, Sep 7, 2012
- New Mexico: Study Finds No Clear Red Light Camera Benefit, TheNewspaper.com, Aug 30, 2012
- Pennsylvania Red Light Camera Violations Have Not Decreased, TheNewspaper.com, Aug 8, 2012
- Safety camera link to car crashes, Illawarra Mercury, Jul 21, 2012
- Florida: Early Red Light Camera Program Failed to Reduce Accidents, TheNewspaper.com, Jul 12, 2012
- Florida: Analysis Disproves Red Light Camera Program Claims, TheNewspaper.com, Jun 25, 2012
- Safety of photo radar cameras questioned, WinnipegSun.com, May 27, 2012
- Crashes Drop in Tempe After Cameras Turned Off, PhotoRadarScam.com, Mar 28, 2012
- Kansas City, Missouri Red Light Cameras Increase Accidents, TheNewspaper.com, Jan 31, 2012
- New Mexico: Report Finds No Proven Red Light Camera Benefit, TheNewspaper.com, Jan 9, 2012
- Gardena ends its red-light camera program [No Safety Improvement], DailyBreeze.com, Dec 14, 2011
- Redmond to get rid of red-light cameras, citing no safety improvement, BellinghamHerald.com, Nov 4, 2011
- Texas Town Sees Accidents Skyrocket After Red Light Cameras Installed, WarOnDriving.com, Nov 4, 2011
- Colorado Springs pulls plug on red light cameras [because safety didn't improve], KDVR.com, Oct 27, 2011
- Washington: Report Finds Red Light Camera Installation Unjustified, TheNewspaper.com, Oct 27, 2011
- Red-light cameras' effect on accidents is debatable, Philly.com, Oct 25, 2011
- Co. Springs May End Red Light Camera Program, KRDO.com, Oct 19, 2011
- Bell Gardens eEnds Redflex Red Light Camera Program, EGPNews.com, Sep 29, 2011
- Peoria will deactivate red-light cameras on Oct. 3 [because accidents increased], AZCentral.com, Sep 14, 2011
- L.A. gets ready to pull plug on cameras, Winnipeg Sun, Jun 12, 2011
- Red-light camera scam - Numbers don’t back up photo-radar safety argument, Winnipeg Sun, Jun 12, 2011
- Accidents fall at Houston red-light camera intersections [After Cameras Turned Off], Chron.com, May 11, 2011
- California: Accidents Increase at Photo Enforced Intersections, TheNewspaper.com, Apr 13, 2011
- Los Angeles Red Light Camera Program is a Failure, KCET, Feb 1, 2011
- Report Critiques Red Light Camera Research Methods, TheNewspaper.com, Feb 25, 2011
- Grant-Wilton crashes soar since cam arrived, Winnipeg Sun, Feb 16, 2011
- Texas: Red Light Cameras Boost League City Accidents, TheNewspaper.com, Jan 19, 2011
- Colorado: Accident Data Ignored in Red Light Camera Expansion, TheNewspaper.com, Jan 7, 2011
- Signifigant Reduction in Accidents in Village—with One Exception: Village officials say statistics from a recent accident report are highly encouraging, although accidents at Red Light intersections are actually up, WesternSprings.Patch.com, Dec 14, 2010
- Missouri: Police Chief Admits Red Light Cameras Made No Difference, TheNewspaper.com, Dec 7, 2010
- Speed camera axe 'doesn't increase accidents', Swindon Advertiser, Dec 8, 2010
- Whittier drops photo red-light enforcement program, WhittierDailyNews.com, Dec 6, 2010
- Effect of red-light cameras in Salem is debatable, StatesmanJournal.com, Dec 3, 2010
- New Mexico: Photo Enforcement Locations See More Accidents, Injuries, TheNewspaper.com, Nov 24, 2010
- New Mexico: Study Shows Photo Enforcement Increased Accidents, TheNewspaper.com, Oct 26, 2010
- Stop signs: Red-light cameras aren't saving lives or money as intended, Daily News Los Angeles, Oct 1, 2010
- Red light camera data in full [Accidents Up in Winnipeg], Winnipeg Sun, Sep 27, 2010
- Oak Lawn cameras produce mixed results, SouthtownStar.com, Sep 14, 2010
- California: Another City Admits Accidents Not Reduced By Red Light Cameras, TheNewspaper.com, Aug 21, 2010
- Red Light Cameras Increase Accidents in Baytown, Texas, TheNewspaper.com, Aug 20, 2010
- Illinois: Study Finds No Benefit To Chicago Red Light Cameras, TheNewspaper.com, Jun 18, 2010
- Rear-end collisions jump at red-light camera intersections in West Palm Beach, Palm Beach Post, May 24, 2010.
- Harlingen Getting Rid of Red Light Cameras, Seattletimes.com, Feb. 18, 2010.
- New Mexico: Red Light Cameras Fail to Reduce Accidents, TheNewspaper.com, Feb. 12, 2010.
- Accidents up despite Spokane red light cameras, Seattletimes.com, Jan. 6, 2010.
- Texas: Accidents Increase at Controversial Red Light Camera Intersection, TheNewspaper.com, Nov. 24, 2009.
- Do Cameras Make Intersections More Dangerous?, CBS2.Com, Nov. 9, 2009.
- INVESTIGATION: Are one community's red light cameras effective? Examiner.com, Nov 6, 2009.
- Southland city removes red light cameras after 'rear end collisions have actually increased' Examiner.com, Nov 5, 2009.
- Canada: Cameras Increased Accidents, City Wants More, TheNewspaper.com, Oct. 21, 2009.
- San Bernardino pulls the plug on red-light camera, The Press-Enterprise, Oct. 6, 2009.
- (Clarksville, TN) Police See More Wrecks With Red-Light Cams, WSMV.com, Sep. 3, 2009.
- Peoria officials question the value of red-light cameras, AZCentral.com, Aug. 31, 2009.
Alternative Article with Data.
- California: Costa Mesa Red Light Cameras Increased Accidents TheNewspaper, Sep. 3, 2009
- Red-light Cameras Increase Crashes, Florida Researchers Find, Science Daily, Mar. 12, 2008. See the report by the Florida Public Health Review.
- A Long Term Study of Red-Light Cameras and Accidents, David Andreassen, Australian Road Research Board, February, 1995.
- The impact of red light cameras (photo-red enforcement) on crashes in Virginia, Nicholas J. Garber, Virginia Transportation Research Council, 2007.
- D.C. Red-Light Cameras Fail to Reduce Accidents, Washington Post, Oct 4, 2005.
- The Red Light Running Crisis, Is it Intentional?, Office of the Majority Leader, U.S. House of Representatives, May 2001.
- Investigation Of Crash Risk Reduction Resulting From Red-Light Cameras In Small Urban Areas, Mark Burkey, Ph.D. & Kofi Obeng, Ph.D. North Carolina Agricultural & Technical State University, July 2004.
- Evaluation of the Red-Light-Camera-Enforcement Pilot Project, Ontario Ministry of Transportation, December 2003.
- California: Another City Dumps Red Light Cameras, TheNewspaper.com, Oct 23, 2008.
With all of this information available, one has to wonder why our officials have chosen to ignore it. The obvious answer is the revenue. I believe that the real problem is the process. Districts have equipment vendors come in to meetings and give slick presentations promising safety and revenue which sounds "win-win" and "can't lose." The real problem is that the officials never or rarely seek out any information as to why they shouldn't install the equipment in order to counter the slick presentation. The key is public awareness, which is why we are here.
Other ReportsEffectiveness of Red Light Cameras in Chicago: An Exploratory Analysis (June 2010)
If traffic cameras increase safety, where's the proof?Feb. 29, 2012 Washington Examiner - Article
Although regional officials claim that speed/red light cameras increase traffic safety, they are strangely unwilling to provide the raw data to document the effectiveness of the equipment on which they are spending millions of tax dollars.
In January, for example, The Washington Examiner asked officials in D.C. and Montgomery County how they determined whether speed/red light cameras resulted in fewer accidents, injuries or deaths at each specific location where they were deployed. If the cameras really do increase traffic safety, as officials insist, the before/after data should confirm it with concrete numbers.
A month and a half later, we're still waiting.
Los Angeles Red Light Camera Program a FailureJan. 31, 2011
'Dangerous' speed camera rakes in $500,000 a yearNov. 14, 2009 Telegraph - Article
Crashes have risen by almost a quarter and casualties have almost doubled since the camera was installed on a busy stretch of the M11 in Essex, in 2000.
Now, details revealed under Freedom of Information legislation, show that the device results in up to 9,000 speeding tickets a year, enough to raise around 500,000 [pounds].
Florida: Early Data Suggest City Traffic Cameras IneffectiveNov. 7, 2009 The Newspaper - Article
An early look at the performance of the red light cameras in Temple Terrace, Florida shows that they have done nothing to improve safety. Instead of merely repeating city claims on the topic, investigative reporters for the Tampa station WFTS ordered accident reports and checked the data for themselves. Although the program has been operational for a year, police only released enough data to produce a limited snapshot of the effect on accidents.
Over the first five months of the program, accidents decreased citywide by 13 percent compared to the same period a year earlier without cameras. At intersections with cameras, however, the number of accidents more than doubled from six to fourteen. Contrary to claims that red light cameras decrease accident severity, the average police estimate of damage costs for each accident increased by twenty percent after cameras were installed.
Arizona: Witnesses Blame Accident on Speed CameraOct. 9, 2009 The Newspaper - Article
The panicked reaction that some drivers have to the sight of a speed camera may in fact be a significant cause of accidents. The group CameraFraud.com yesterday released an Arizona Department of Public Safety (DPS) accident report that describes a July 25 incident in which a gray Chevy Camaro collided with a red 1994 Toyota 4Runner SUV on Interstate 17 in Yavapai County, sending two people to the hospital. Although DPS maintains that it hired an A ustralian company, Redflex Traffic Systems, to operate speed cameras to improve safety, the department's own report tells a far different story.
Texas: Study Finds Slim Justification for Camera InstallationMay. 12, 2009 TheNewspaper.com - Article
An independent engineering survey found red light cameras would be inappropriate at all but two intersection approaches in Abilene, Texas, results which disappointed city leaders. Last Wednesday, Lee Engineering presented a detailed report to the Red Light Camera Citizen Advisory Committee which had formed in compliance with a 2007 law designed to force officials to think twice before rushing to activate cameras during a budget crunch. The study suggested that engineering improvements might even make cameras unnecessary at those two locations.
"Based on crash and violation data," the study stated, "the report identifies only two approaches that would warrant consideration of photo enforcement in the event that implementation of physical and signal timing changes are unsuccessful at reducing red light running."
CBS News uncovers suspicious activities regarding red light cameras between the cities and the camera vendors.